In this technologically advanced world, almost all of the business operations have started to be carried out in the digital space. Even the big industries like the food industry, fashion industry, travel, etc. have appreciated the use of digital space for their marketing as well as promotion and more interestingly, the results have always been profitable. It would not be an injustice to say that the brand or a company doing great in the market but is not carrying out its business over the digital space is tend to suffer more than those far away from them. The need of the hour is to make every possible use of digital space and make oneself aware of how to get desirous as well as profitable results out of it.
For achieving desirous as well as profitable results over the digital space, it is a must to know as to how one can do so. The utmost important concept of success over digital space begins from the Domain Authority of a website and awareness as to what steps can improve such Domain Authority which would ultimately help one in achieving desirable and profitable results.
Domain Authority and its Concept
Basically, Domain Authority is a number (metric) that helps in indicating and showing the authority of one’s website. The higher the domain authority of a website will be, the greater will be the chances of one’s website ranking higher in search engine result pages i.e. SERPS which would contribute towards getting more and more organic traffic to the website.
The Domain Authority metric was initially developed by a software company Moz, but as a part of competition, other companies started to create similar Domain Authority metrics that would rank domains based upon consideration of number of factors and give them a rating ranging from 0 to 100.
There are various slabs of the rating given to the website which provides information as to which website is higher as per the Search Engine Research Pages i.e. SERPS. Supposedly, if a website scores between 90 to 100, then it would mean that the website if googled, will be having the top position over other websites.
How to calculate domain authority?
It becomes very important to be aware as to how one can calculate the domain authority of a website. According to a software company Moz, they calculate Domain Authority by considering a number of signals which are 40 in total. Some of them are as follows:
The number of incoming links pointing to one’s website have a major contribution in building of domain authority of a website.
The incoming links and their quality as well as relevancy over a website.
The content and its quality published over website.
The existence of one’s website and popularity over social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc. Overall SEO performance of website in general as a whole.
Domain Authority V/s Page Authority
According to the algorithm provided by google, google never rank a website directly. Every page is indexed and then ranked accordingly, the quality of web pages plays an essential role in website ranking. So the test we are talking about is of Page Authority, not Domain Authority. There is a huge competition in the era of domains, every keyword, phrase, page is essential for high domain authority
Steps to consider while increasing domain authority?
- Good Domain name: In order to increase domain authority, it is of utmost importance that one’s website must have a good domain name that would be easy to remember, easy to pronounce and one that is unique and distinct from others.
- Use of strong keywords: While publishing content over website, make sure to enter such keywords which one recalls while browsing digital space. Mentioning of keywords in the content to be published helps in attracting the visitors to the website. But always remember to put medium length keywords and not long ones as it may end up with nothing and no result will be derivable out of it.
- On-Page SEO Optimization: On-page SEO Optimization contributes a lot in improving one’s website domain authority. The way in which it works and how one can improve its On-Page SEO, is as follows:
- It helps in optimization of website’s page and content.
- Optimized titles and Descriptions
- Ensure proper usage of headings namely Heading 1 and Heading 2 within content to be published on website.
- There should be URL (Uniform Resource Locator) structure and SEO optimized permalinks.
- Images, videos, and other media elements to be published over the website must be SEO Optimized.
- Always mention keywords naturally in the content to be published that is to say no keyword should be repeated again and again.
- Insert internal links in between the content. By doing this, the visitor to the website will be having access to other published content of the same website.
- Maintaining quality of content published on the website contributes in both on-page and off-page SEO.
- At last, On-Page SEO can also be improved by keeping the content over website, fresh and up to date.
- Off-Page SEO Optimization: Off-Page SEO Optimization includes promotion of one’s website outside the reach of that website. That is to say promotion of one’s website over such websites which already have a higher domain authority. Going into details, the following is the way how it works:
- The link profile of a website is the most important factor of all. Websites with good link profile holds a higher domain authority as compared to websites with a bad link profile.
- Now the question is what it takes to be a strong link profile.
- Contributing factors to a strong link profile
The following are the factors:
- Incoming of links from websites already having a high domain authority.
- There are no bad links that is to say low-quality links should not be there.
- It possesses links from a number of unique domains which are frequently accessed.
- How one can improve its website’s link profile?
In general terms, the process of improving the link profile is termed as Off-Page SEO and is related to those techniques which one can use to attract good links which eventually contribute in improvement of rankings. There are certain steps which can be considered and adapted in order to improve website’s link profile which are as follows:
- Remove bad links from profile:
- Make every effort to avoid making use of bad links. Tools such as Moz Explorer or Semrush can be made use of to locate and remove bad links from one’s profile.
- If one is unable to locate toxic links in profile then use of Google disavow tool can be relied upon to remove those links from the profile.
- Strive towards building a strong link profile:
- Building strong link profile and maintaining it is a difficult part in SEO and one can do the same through good links from other similar websites.
Following are the methods through which good links can be ascertained:
- Natural Link building: Natural link building is a method where one can have great content on its website that will attract links from other websites. What happens in this is an internet user will locate the website, access it, go through the content published and link to it from one of their articles.
For its effective functioning, it is essential to ensure a quality content published on one’s website. This is to say that content published is of quality, beneficial, descriptive in simple language and has the capability to enable other webmasters for reference of same in articles.
- Blogger outreach: it is a method to achieve good links by approaching other webmasters and marking existence over digital space. By doing the same, one increases its chances of linking to one’s website within their articles.
- Website should be Mobile Friendly: In present time, the browsing done over smartphones is much higher than that over Desktops/ laptops. So, having a mobile-friendly website is no longer left a choice but has been become mandatory for increase domain authority of a website.
There are numerous reasons for making a website mobile friendly which are as follows:
- The rate of mobile searches have now increased than that of done at desktop.
- The first step in searching/ browsing begins from mobile phones and then continued on Desktop.
- The more the website will be mobile-friendly, the more it will contribute in its rankings.
- The importance of a mobile friendly website can be witnessed from the fact that Google is working on a mobile first index and website’s which are not mobile-friendly and as a result if they are not then they will simply not be included.
- As a conclusion, not having a mobile-friendly version of your website, places a negative impact on overall Domain Authority Score of a website.
- Improve Your Page Speed:
One of the most contributing factor in ranking of a website is a website’s page speed. The basic rule is the website which loads faster will surely have an additional advantage over other slower websites. Improving page speed of a website will benefit in improvement of ranking as well as help in scoring a high domain authority and will also enhance the user experience, resulting in more traffic over the website.
Though it is not easy to control the page speed unless you are a developer or the one who possess technical knowledge. But the needful can be done, if following are followed:
- Avoid presence of unnecessary plugins over the website.
- Keep in regular contact with your hosting provider and regularly analyze server’s performance. If it is required to do so, then upgrade to a more powerful server.
- The file size of the images to be published over the website must be optimized.
- Make use of streaming services such as YouTube for playing videos over the website.
- Stick to the purpose of website:
It is of utmost importance that the website must focus on the purpose for which it was created. This is to say that focus should be on one topic and not on multiple topics at the same time. This is so, if one is focusing on a single topic, then there are more chances that one may get a higher domain authority quickly as compared to a website focusing on multiple topics. So, it is always advisable to place focus on single topic in order to get a good domain authority for website.
- Improve Social Signals:
Despite of the fact that Google has officially many a times stated that social signals are not part of process of Google Ranking algorithm and there is a clear coloration between pages that rank high on Google and social signals. For the purpose of increasing domain authority what one need to do is, is as follows:
- To work on website’s Facebook business page and put more efforts in increasing followers.
- Regular interactions on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc. so that the content published and shared is getting some favorable response.
- Make sure to link social media handles on website’s official pages for enabling the readers to go through the content published over website.
- Ensure content quality when shared using the social media.
- Design website professionally:
Designing of a website by a professional will make one’s website rank better than that of others. But everyone out there is not a professional, so making use of paid themes can do the needful. For those who are not professionals can make use of paid and professional themes which one can buy and make website good enough and rank better.
The thing is, if a website is not professionally build then such website could end with many problems like bad user experience, may not be indexed by Google and the consequences would be such that it is difficult to optimize the website for SEO. For this reason, it is highly recommended for making use of perfectly designed websites.
- Brand building from the beginning:
For the websites which provides services over digital space, it is of utmost importance to deliver such visiting experience which has the capability to compel the visitor to revisit the website. For the same, it is important to make a brand. Turning of a website into brand contributes a lot in increasing domain authority. So it is advisable to adapt a proper strategy for branding of the website.
To begin with, one can ask for opinions of the customers and ask them to review the products listed over website. If the product or service provided is good and in return there are better reviews, it would surely create a better brand. It would not only help to create a better brand but will compel others to link back which will help in getting more links and better domain authority for sure.
- Purchase domain name for a longer duration:
Purchasing domain name for a longer duration assures the search engines that a website will be going to work for a long time. And it is always considered while ranking of websites that “How old the domain is” and for “how long the website will be going to work”. So, purchasing the domain name for a longer duration will contribute in increasing domain authority.
- Use a Good Sitemap:
It is always advisable by Google to make use of a good sitemap for any blog or website. This sitemap helps the search engine to locate whole of the Website. Making use of a good sitemap not only enhances the user experience but it also helps the search engine spiders to crawl the website quickly. A good sitemap can help one to increase the domain authority of a website and it is so, because sitemap helps the users and search engines to grab even the older posts and pages quickly with updates also. As a result, one’s website will be getting more chances to get good rankings in search engines.
- Analyzing Competitors link profiles:
Analyzing Competitors link profiles on a regular basis also supports one’s way towards scoring a higher domain authority. By doing this on a regular basis, one is completely aware of the latest practices adopted by others in order to secure and maintain a higher domain authority. There are many tools available which can do the needful and help in getting a detailed analysis of the competitors.
- SSL certification of website:
SSL certification of the website gives a little boost in the ranking of a website. Such certification would result in switching from HTTP:// to https:// which gives a little boost to the domain authority. Even the Google insists on using SSL certification for better ranking.
The effect of such certification is beneficial to the website as when an SSL certification is applied to fix URL from HTTP to HTTPS, the website on which it is applied gets a better protection from hackers and the second thing in which it is beneficial is, it enhances the links pointing to the website which results in a boost in the domain authority.
- Avoid link diluters:
Link dilution is a term which is used to describe a situation when there are placed numbers of links on the same page. Basically, it includes the linking of pages which are either not required or useless.
Though, it is a matter of question as to which links would be termed as useless links. The links such as tag links and tag clouds etc. falls under the category of useless links. Most of the search engines don’t give much importance to these kind of links, but these links are found to be helpful in finding the related post or articles from the same page. These links are also known as the unwanted links but still they are important ones because this helps the visitor to locate the post searched for within just a few clicks.
- Maintain Patience:
The basic rule of increasing domain authority of a website which needs to be followed by all is to maintain patience while you go through the process of increasing domain authority. Things will happen over course of time. For the same, the content published over a website will be read and the website will be evaluated after every change one bring to its website, so not losing the patience would help one even more than anything.
Pages with Lower authority rank higher as compared to higher domain authority pages?
Many times we come across websites that have a lower authority but then even as its peak. The ranking is not only the factor that rules for a website but various other factors affecting a domain.
- When a page is more relevant to the target phrase and is playing great in competitions.
- When a page is good in engaging its visitors and making them stay for a longer time.
- Selecting a niche that is more in competition and is engaging people from its social media links.
At last, it is concluded that achieving a good Domain Authority score is not easy as it seems to be. It requires a consistent effort and a lot of patience. Such times will also come then no improvement can be witnessed as expected as it take its course and in such a case, one have to wait for the things to happen and maintain patience throughout the process. To sum up, one thing which needs to be remembered throughout the entire process is that it is just a number metric that shows how strong a domain is as compared to other domains existing in the Moz database.
In case a website scores a lower Domain Authority then it simply doesn’t means that a website will not be performing well on Google. On the other hand, a higher Domain Authority score only means that all measures are rightly adopted, but still it does not guarantee that the website will get better rankings or traffic and it is just a mere prediction.